English: skills for learning
This course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to develop the English reading and writing skills needed to succeed. You'll be introduced to academic reading and effective note-making strategies. You'll develop your essay writing. You'll look at academic style and vocabulary-building strategies. You'll also enhance your understanding of sentence structure and punctuation. You will learn through a range of engaging activities aimed at extending your existing language skills.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- Follow an active reading method to help you read academic texts and make notes
- Critically read source texts and appropriately use the information they contain in your writing
- Link ideas in your writing so that your readers can easily understand your ideas
- Make use of vocabulary and grammatical structures to express yourself more formally
- Make the most of online dictionaries and look at ways to record new words for future use
- Understand how to organise and punctuate sentences to increase clarity.